Saturday, February 2, 2008

RSS Feeds and Blogs

Task 9 Set up a feed reader.
To complete task 9 I decided to use Google Reader since it meant not having to remember another login. This is a real bonus. It was straightforward to set up and using folders to organise your subscriptions can help avoid things getting out of control.
I also added some items to my sharred page. There's link from my blog.
This task has been most useful and will be something that I will continue to use in the future.

Task 10 Add some subscriptions.
It's easy to get carried away and I found myself subscribing to numerous sites of interest including ABS, Choice Online and some ABC and Radio National programs. All good stuff I thought.

I spend some time looking at Digg.com and found a lot of "stuff" covering all sorts of topics. It would seem that with these social networking technologies your involvement can vary depending on your level of interest. I used the search option to find something with an Australian flavour. Although it hadn't hit the front page, I did find an item about the Choir of Hard Kocks.
The Living Library story from the Malmo Public Library in Sweden also rated a mention.
I don't think Digg.com will become my primary source of news but it is an interesting concept. What will they think of next?

Task 11 Subscribe to some blogs.
Using both Technorati and Google Blog Search, I was able to locate a number of library blogs and set up a link to several on my blog.

I found a site called Salem Press which provided a listing of Library Blogs.

Now its onto the next task, MySpace and Facebook. Hmm.....

No comments: